View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Do yourself a solid and try the Italian roast beans from Starbucks. Best coffee under $12(per 12 oz bag).

I've tried a bunch of local roasters and there's a lot of variability, just like with coffee shops, some worse than Starbucks, some better. They all cost a lot though, usually ~$20/12 oz bag. A lot of local roasters are also really into super acidic beans and while they're pretty good in a pour over, the acidity is really off-putting in a drip machine. Counterculture in Durham is pretty guilty of this, most of their coffee is pretty acidic and downright undrinkable in a drip machine.

I'll give Black and White a try the next time I'm in Raleigh though, I've got a rental there and visit pretty frequently, will probably be there in the next couple weeks.

For local roasters, I'm a big fan of Dynamite Roasting in Black Mountain. They deliver beans directly to where I work and we have $0.75 espresso shots from a Jura Superauto in the break room. Delicious. Their Suplicar Clemencia Dark Roast is delicious in a drip setup too.
That's fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. Black and White should have something for everyone's tastes, including - by the sounds of it - your appetite for a darker coffee.

Interesting Re differences of the coffee in a pourover vs machine. I hadn't considered that (as a pourover drinker).

I won't buy Starbucks coffee beans on principle alone to be honest. I don't agree with their coffee sustainability practices or lack of farming transparency. Its like trying to tell a wine person to drink 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's. I don't drink alcohol or go out to eat very often, so I am happy to buy expensive coffee. One of my life's small joys.