View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
i believe the following is pertinent
YOU BEAUTY! thanks for posting it, saved me the trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Take whatever you want from that chart. It's a very broad brush over a very complex subject. The author himself regrets putting the left column on it, precisely because of threads like these.
indeed, the chart doesn't really tell you much, other than the vaguest notions that might be helpful in considering a tactical approach to racing. The rest of it? meh, doesn't really matter.

For example - my numbers in the 5second column and 20' were always rather low, yet I was a pretty successful track racer - a bit odd, eh?

well, I noticed that my 5' values were (comparatively) quite high, and that sent me down the path of figuring out "what do you have to do to win a race with 4-5' efforts?"
It isn't kilo attacks (trying to Kilo a field of track racers is a REAL painful proposition), it isn't mass sprints, but neither is it attacks from 10k out.

"dance with them as brung you" is a pretty reasonable approach for bike racers trying to sort out how to translate their physiological profiles into wins - and I personally know several people in this thread have found success matching those things up.

It's only one piece of the puzzle - someone w/ a 20w/kg sprint but who is terrified of contact & proximity *could* be a good sprinter, but not without fixing some skill gaps.

Also, when and where those values are derived matter a lot. Plenty of WT sprints are won w/ 1500watt sprints. After 4h of racing, hills, and the completely 10k leading to the sprint, 5" sprint values are comparatively low in terms of raw numbers, but intensity over the previous 4 hours or previous 10 minutes might be astronomical. YMMV