View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Can I ask why the aversion to hookless? I've been using hookless wheels tubeless for several years now on MTB with no issues, but am relatively new to the tech on the road. I got a set of 303S wheels a couple of months ago, I've ridden 1000 miles on them and done a few tire swaps in that time with no issues. I know the pressure limitations, but I've been enjoying riding them well below the limit. Admittedly this is limited experience, is there something else to watch for?

Have a look at this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1xvlifJI2E

This is the final instalment of a series on an unexplained blowout of a Conti tubeless tire. It turns out that the rim was out of spec - but not by much. The rim circumference was out of spec by about 0.3% and the hookless sidewalls were out of spec by 0.5mm. That's not much, but it led to catastrophic failure of the tubeless tire system. Luckily for this guy, it didn't happen while he was riding. There's just too much potential for things to go wrong, imo.

I'll have none of that, thanks.

I am still a little surprised that I even bought these wheels, such is my long time faith and comfort with tubular tires and rims, but I'll give these hooked rim clincher wheels a try and see how they go.