View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Once wide rims became ubiquitous I moved on from tubulars. I find the ride to be close enough to tubulars that I was OK moving on. That said, there truly is nothing like the sweet song of a quality tubular on a quiet road!

I rode Campagnolo Nucleon tubulars for years with Veloflex. I then purchase a set of Nucleon clinchers to make a direct comparison and I disliked the experience. The narrow rim made the tire shape to be sort of like a light bulb and standing up the side to side rocking was not confidence inspiring like a tubular would be. The only way to get this to feel better was to pump up to 120 PSI, which ruined the ride quality.

Once wider rims became the norm the tire shape changed when inflated to have a more vertical side wall or at least a more natural rounded shape, like a tubular. I’m content with the ride quality and the ease of operation and as you mentioned, they’re always straight and round, something that wasn’t always the case, even with the best tubulars and a good installation job.
Is there a particular lightweight butyl tube that you favor?