View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 08:54 PM

The weight of the trailer is only part of the consideration, the other is tongue weight / payload. I am sure people will recommend a half-ton, don't listen to them as it's a bad idea IME.

Moving on - check out the tongue weight + payload combination and make a decision about 3/4 ton vs 1 ton. There really isn't a huge difference in ride quality once loaded down but the 1 ton (aka 3500 / 350) gets you a little more margin for error.

The Fords are more expensive but they are a bit nicer inside. Especially the newest ones. Ford stuff is a little more bomber than Chevy but both are plenty reliable if you do normal maintenance. RAM is a tossup - the trucks are super nice inside if talking about the new stuff and the Cummins engines have always been good products but lots of reports of build quality issues and the trucks rusting quickly compared to Ford / Chevy.

The gas vs diesel debate is as old as time. With a new truck it's like an $8-10k cost differential, which is substantial. Will you net out $10k in fuel savings? That math gets a little fuzzier if you're buying used. But diesel gets significantly better mileage when towing than gas does - no two ways about it. Diesel also just straight up tows better - look at the torque figures and where they are in the powerband, it's not even worth comparing. If you'll be out west a lot I'd absolutely factor this in - climbing a steep grade at elevation with a trailer the last thing I'd want to be worried about is my truck struggling.

A used diesel could be a good way to go if trying to stay in budget. If going Ford, the 6.7 is a little bit better than the 6.0 or 6.4 as a generalization. RAM will get you the best value but I'd definitely get something newer if you change your mind about their trucks.

Last edited by Pinned; 04-13-2024 at 08:58 PM.