View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 08:18 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
Great thread, as I am also in the market.

I have a 2017 F250 gas that I mostly bought for work (construction) and to tow a horse trailer. We started out with a 4 horse gooseneck, but then transitioned into a 8 horse stock trailer type gooseneck. And you think bikes are expensive!

Towing capacity of my truck seems to be 12,000 pound plus, which is in the range of 8 horses and a relatively light trailer for its size. I can tell you that after towing the bigger trailer for 2 years, my truck is not the same. It has some weird shifting issues - sounds like the truck is always in the wrong gear and the fan is running. I'm taking it in this week - either for service or to trade it in.

My other issue with my truck is the bone jarring ride when unloaded. It does have the FX4 package which is a stiffer ride - I mostly bought that for the increased height for plowing (ever been teeter tottered on a snow bank? It sucks). I know everyone says that they need to be loaded, but seriously, it's a work truck. Sometimes, I just drive to work!

Looking at all of the big three. Read a lot. Watched a lot of videos. The consensus I'm getting is that there is a slight advantage to the diesel - especially if you're towing a lot. Hard to justify the $10,000 uncharge and the DEF and increased fuel cost if you ask me.

If someone told me that besides the increased gas milage on the diesel towing, and both the gas and diesel can comfortably tow up to 12,000 pounds, I'd go gas. I'll deal with a little bit less power uphill for the benefits of gas. I just can't find that answer. Thoughts?
Agreed. I grew up around trucks. Unless you’re towing 20k lbs regularly up steep grades, gas wins. Especially modern gas engines.

Some dealers may have a used model you could “demo” to compare.