View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM

Age and goals

How old are you?
What is your level of racing?
What are your racing goals?

On paper most would say don't lift- It will make your recovery take longer.
That said, if you are older, just having fun and not looking to be a pro bike racer you should look at the bigger picture.

I am 52- raced as a cat 1 up until my mid-40's. Parallel to that, I only lifted weights in the off-season.
In my mid 40's- my body started falling apart. Racing at a high level was over for me.
It took me a couple years to re-focus and re-load- At about age 48 I started lifting. Not heavy, but consistent. 12 months a year.
At age 50 I started lifting a lot more. At age 52 I would say that I am a gym rat who like to ride a bunch rather than a bike rider who goes to the gym.
Lifting is way better or my longevity.
BTW- I still only weight 145 lb. So the gym work didn't add a bunch of lbs.- maybe 5. But good weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanooze View Post
so i've been on this workout plan lately that centers around lifting weights every sunday and tuesday no matter what you do on those days.

-so since the racing season is upon us here in california, i'm racing every weekend and on tuesdays as well which means im doing double days of racing hard and lifting right after.

-my question is this: would this be considered overtraining at all?
i know the body will adapt to the stress you put on it, but even i think this is to much. thoughts?