View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I wonder if you don't need a phone if you need a separate sim card/phone number.. Not sure how it would work otherwise, right? It's an extra $70.. ($329 gps vs $399 gps/cell). EDIT: looks like it has "wireless" capability, so maybe it works like a walkie talkie or something
From https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/...th-review.html

Quote:
Rather than putting in a physical sim card, which would take up too much space, they went with an electronic SIM (eSIM), which is a SIM card without the physical card part. Meanwhile, the antenna for the watch is the front of the display.

Of course with a SIM card (of any type), you get a phone number. That’s true today of Android Wear watches and any number of other SIM-based devices you may have in your life today. But what’s mostly unique here is that with their eSIM, your phone number is shared with your phone. Thus you have one single phone number no matter where you are.

With that phone number you can take a call directly on the watch itself without any phone nearby. The watch includes both a speaker and microphone. To demonstrate this they had an employee stand-up paddle boarding out on a lake and took the phone call live using her watch.
If carriers don’t charge a separate device fee given that the watch and iPhone use the same cellular number, this seems like it’s going to be a no brainer. It would be great to be able to leave my phone behind when I go on a ride, or to stream music to my watch and listen on my AirPods without carrying a phone.

If Verizon does try to charge an additional fee to use the watch on its network, there’s not an ice cube’s chance in hell that I’d ever buy one.