View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Because of where we lived at one point in my childhood we had lots of interactions with GI's coming back from and going to the conflict as well as their families. Many emotions I can remember from the time even though I was a kid. Back in the 90's I used to do a lot of private instruction with one of my instructors and a fellow student at my home. Both of them were Vietnam Vets, one an Army grunt, the other a Marine sniper. They never talked about it and I never asked...until one night we finished a long training session and we were having a discussion that ended up flowing toward the conflict there. Once they began to open up I just shut my mouth and listened to them talk and share their experiences. It was moving on so many levels listening to first hand experiences of what happened to them and their fellow soldiers physically and emotionally.

Expanding the draft certainly made it "Real" for a wider proportion of the American populace, but as pointed out in one of the early episodes, if you had money and/or connections there were ways around it.

William
Yup, like a sore foot.....