View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I use a flashlight at work every day. I used to carry a Streamlight Stinger LED but a couple of years ago I switched to an Olight S30RII. Both are rechargeable and have multiple output settings.

The Streamlight is a nice flashlight though it is on the larger side. The beam is strong and bright and has a decent runtime. You can buy it in various forms, the most expensive comes with both AC and DC chargers so it can be recharged in a vehicle. It takes a proprietary battery though replacements are inexpensive.

The Olight is beam is almost as strong/bright as the Streamlight but is physically much smaller. The charger is USB based so it's easy to charge in a vehicle as well. It takes a proprietary 18650 battery although you can use CR123s if needed. It also has a magnetic end which can come in very handy....it can be held in place by sticking it on something metal.

If I had to pick one of the two it would be the Olight. The smaller form factor is a big reason in my choice.

The recommendation for a Petzl headlamp is also good. They are good quality and very nice to have when you need both hands free.