View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'm not sure that's the case. A typical rear wheel has a spacing of 50 - 55mm between flanges, and the right (DS) flange positioned 48 - 50mm from the end of the axle. In order to make a dishless wheel, the axle width would have to be about 150mm or more between dropout faces (assuming symmetric rim and symmetric rear triangle). While that's the standard for MTB Super Boost, most bikes have narrower axle spacing (the standard for disc brake road and gravel bikes is 135mm between dropouts)*.

The exception here is for bikes with asymmetric rear triangles. Cannondale has used asymmetric rear triangles on some bikes, which they call Asymmetric Integration (AI). This offset the rear triangle to the right by 6mm. That's enough to make most disc brake rear wheels dishless or nearly dishless. I didn't think Cannondale used AI on many drop-bar bikes, but maybe the OP's Synapse is one of them.

*Also note here that many Fat Bikes and tandems use wide axles, and also can be made dishless.
I don't think her Synapse has AI. Looking again I think the wheel is dished. What was throwing me off is the spoke lengths are all the same but I think the hub has different diameters on the DS, NDS which allows using the same length spoke on both sides. Since I already had rebuilt the front wheel with new spokes and Sapim internal brass nipples I think it makes sense to keep that wheel and rebuild the rear wheel reusing the rim and with a better hub as I hear the hub is garbage and Sapim internal nipples. I don't like internal nipples but IME spokes don't break on a properly built wheel.
Looking at this DT Swiss 350 hub:

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/dt-s...QaAhmmEALw_wcB

It will end up costing around $300 vs $800 for a complete new wheelset.