View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM

I'm now using TRP HyRds on 2 different bikes, both with Campy levers (Chorus on one, Centaur on other). The combo CAN work very well. I used to have Avid BB7s on those bikes, and still have BB7s on a tandem. I think the modulation with the HyRds is much better, plus they are quieter and just as powerful, nice selection of pads available aftermarket (Shimano, Kool Stop, Swiss Stop, etc). About 20 grams heavier than the BB7s, in case you're a weight weenie. They have a nice low profile, don't stick out to the side the way the Avids do.
Out of the box, some of the brakes have worked just fine with the Campy ergos, and some have had more cable pull than I like -- enough that the levers goes almost to the handlebar. These are all the v2 HyRds, set up with good compressionless housing for the cables, which makes a difference for ANY brake.

The solution (for me anyway) has been to top off the fluid reservoir on the HyRds. Take out the pads, hold the brakes level, remove the cap with a little Torx bit, add a little more mineral oil (Shimano's works), carefully put the cap back on, wipe off any oil that got around the outside, wipe them clean again (because mineral oil contamination WILL ruin the pads), then put the pads back in. So you should budget a $6 bottle of brake oil into the purchase. There are 2 or 3 videos on Youtube that show the process clearly too.