View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Ellen and I used to be manual-only folks. (I remember trying to teach my mum-in-law to drive a stick - unsuccessfully - when our first child - now almost 35 - was born.) I no longer miss it. I ride my bikes more miles than I drive the car anyway. They still have manual transmissions. 😀 those dual clutch systems shift so quickly that I suspect they actually get slightly better mileage than a stick.
I was manual only from the time I started driving in '75 until a few years ago. I'd been primarily driving what had been my wife's automatic mini-van for a couple of years before I went to buy a Honda Fit. I fully intended to buy another manual, but once I test drove both, and managed to find a bit of stop and go to sit in when I test drove the manual, I realized I didn't have the jones for it anymore. So I got an automatic, but it does have those paddle shifters for when I want to put it in "sport" mode and shift on my own. I did it some when I first had the car, but basically never do anymore. What mattered then doesn't always matter now...

-Ray