View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open View Post
I have a Salsa Cutthroat and would describe it as a MTB with drop bars. I use it for unpaved bikepacking mostly, because it handles good even when carrying some bags, which you can fit to the frame easily. I also own a Open W.ide and prefer that bike for the purpose you describe. I run it with a 700c road wheelset and use a 650b wheelset with 2.4" MTB tires for gravel and the woods. It is a more versatile bike, as soon as you want to cover more road miles. You can even put 40mm 700c tires on it, where there is a great variety of tires you can choose from, when mixed terrain is your main playground. The Open W.ide can be built up quite light ... mine is 7.5kg with the road wheelset and about 8.5kg with proper 650b wheels and 2.4" tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
The Open Wi.De is terrific; super comfortable, very quick, massive tire clearance. Great for anything resembling a road.
This ^^ is actually my gravel bike and agree with everything above. Super fun on 650b, I’ve done a lot of miles on Schwalbe 2.25 G ones and they roll great on everything. It’s really fun on 700c sworks pathfinders as well. Great bike that would probably be much closer to what OP wants.

On a drop bar MTB note, I also have a Black Mountain Cycles LaCabra. I just built it up over the winter so not a ton of miles on it but I like it. The build is probably 4 pounds heavier than a cutthroat due to frame and fork weight but it is a fun bike where I ride most.
If I ever do another one I think I’ll do a custom Singular Gryphon or Bearclaw Beau Jaxon, really want to try ti frame and fork combo.

I love these bikes but not for their speed. I ride a lot of extremely chunky NF roads with steep climbs and descents, they bridge the gap for me between gravel bikes and hardtails so I don’t feel under or over biked. They also are great for overnighters and multi day rides.