Thread: Tubulars
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 01:08 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
This isn't a debate against clinchers, but more of a taste test.

I have only used cross tubulars, so I understand mounting (no worries HappyCampyer I am not mounting them) as well as the benefits.

My query is, what tires do you guys love and why?

My thought was to simply get the tubular version of the clinchers I like. Vittoria, veloflex, or schwalbe. What tire in the larger size, say 27mm and up would you consider a noticeable difference over clinchers.

If the subtleties are truly only observed by Finley tuned riders who can determine the shape and density of the pebble they just rode over... then never mind.
Absolutely not. Some folks (including myself) who tried tubulars for the first time stopped after a few meters checking the pressure, because to someone used to the ride of 20mm or 23mm clinchers it felt as if they had only 3 bars in it. The difference in "plushness" between, say, a Conti GP 23mm and a Veloflex Servizio Corsa is very, very noticeable.
That is, when using *good* tubulars, which excludes most cheap ones and all made by Tufo.

Of course if you already ride very good supple clinchers like the Veloflex Paves, probably with a latex inner tube, the difference is less noticeable.