View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
I have a Cervelo Caledonia 5 with the D-shaped steer tube and epoxied in starnut/expander plug. I’ve currently got 20mm of spacers above the stem and once I get the fit dialed in I’d like to cut the fork down to eliminate the top spacer stack. I have a replacement plug and epoxy, but not sure about removal of the existing plug. I found installation instructions on Cervelo’s site but nothing about removal. I also did a few searches here but wasn’t able to find anything.

I’m thinking something like an impact puller to pop it loose, but don’t want to mess up the inside of the steer tube. Help appreciated!
I wouldn't remove the plug.

Get the exact everything you want, and then cut the fork. If you can cut below the bottom of the "plug", then all good (remember the top of the fork should be 3-5mm below the top of the stem), and you will have "virgin tube" to start over with your new plug.

If you have a bit of plug still remaining, honestly I would bite the bullet and remove the fork and have someone machine it out on a lathe.