View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Luddite here. My wife's Serotta ti Fierte is really due for an update from worn out Ultegra 9 speed. I've got wheels that'll handle 11 speed, so I'm thinking of making the jump to Shimano 11 speed mechanical. (I considered Di2, but the hole drilling needs ruled that out. And not ready for eTap.)

She rides a couple of thousand miles a year. I'm thinking Ultegra 6800 with the 11-32 cassette and mid range RD, but I suppose I should also consider 5700, too.

If I went with 5700, should I go with 6800 for any individual parts, like shifters, etc? Or any DA upgrades I should consider? Am also thinking about a Hawk Racing bottom bracket after hearing good things about them. (Bike has regular English threaded BB.)

For once, I'll also probably have a LBS order the parts and do the install. I'm good with 9 speed stuff, but don't know my way around 11s too well.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
My thoughts:
  • 5800 is the 11-speed Shimano 105 groupset. 5700 is the older 10-spreed group so you don't want to mix/match that with 5800/6800 (11-speed) parts.
  • 5800 is dirt cheap online (in the neighborhood of $350) and just as easy to install as the older 9-speed stuff, maybe easier. Of course, having the LBS order and install everything is great too... just pointing that out in case you don't mind, (or like me... prefer) to do-it-yourself.
  • I have 5800 and 6800 and can't tell much difference between the two. Both are excellent. I would just do a complete 5800 group, or 6800 if you're feeling fancy.
  • I don't think the Hawk BB will make much difference.