View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
Cyclist killed in Seattle today
Years back I was hit in nearly the same place. It is a one way street and you ride on the left side of the street.
Just looked the location up in Streetview and could't believe my eyes. I wonder what genius designed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
I was down in Seattle for school for a while and gave up riding near the downtown area. Until the city gets a dedicated and protected lane like Vancouver's (w/ parked cars and curbs between moving cars and cyclists)
We here in Munich (twice the size of Seattle, 10x the ammount of cyclists, same # of casualties) don't have left sided tracks (thank god) but we have a lot of those you describe, that hide cyclists from other traffic. Most accidents happen exactly there when the cyclists arrive from "nowhere" (from a car drivers perspective) at intersections.

A few years ago, a woman was killed at such an intersection. She had the right of way and the lights were green, too. Lorry took a right turn and ran over her. Driver went away from court "not guilty" as an expert proved he had no chance of ever seeing her.

We capaign very hard to get rid of them. A safe cyclist is a cyclist that is seen and noticed.

Last edited by martl; 08-30-2014 at 05:56 AM.