View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 07:54 AM
Randomhead

When it's convenient, I put tubeless tape on my rims instead of rim strips. Most rims nowadays are tubeless ready, or at least they have the same profile as tubeless rims. That means that normal rim tape is too thick.

Last I looked there weren't any really good youtube videos about how to get a tire off. Boyd had one that was close, but it wasn't all that clear. Here is the procedure:
Rest the side of the wheel with the valve on the ground or on your feet. Ensure there is as little air in the tube as possible. Starting at the top, push the beads to the center of the rim. Keeping downward tension on the tire towards the valve, push the beads towards the center of the rim. By the time you get to the valve, there should be a decent gap between the rim and the beads. At this point, I snag one of the beads with a tire iron and remove. The second side is almost always easier, but sometimes you have to go back and move that bead towards the center of the rim and repeat. The beads want to sneak out of the center channel, so make sure there is a decent amount of tension.