View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 04:56 AM

Quiet hub driver grease options?

Hey there fellow quiet hub fans, I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the viscosity, adhesion, and sound damping properties between aftermarket/ proprietary greases?

The three that occur to me as best candidates are DT Swiss star ratchet grease, Chris King Ring Lube, and Dumonde Tech ProX Grease (not their oil).

Application will probably be either a DT Swiss Star ratchet hub or I-9 Solix (outside chance I might cheap out with a novatec or bitex). Being a lightweight rider I'm not particularly worried about my paltry horsepower causing engagement issues with the drive mechanism with grease moderately thicker than recommended. (Though that does raise a 'stickier' side question - I am conveniently assuming that interference with driver engagement is less likely when propelling my lighter weight 125# mass up steep hills, compared to the slipping you hear about under heavier, more powerful riders... However I'm not actually sure that's true?)

I'm not concerned with a little more resistance either - Just enjoying the ride, not going for any KOMs.
Any comparison experience out there, or with other greases? TIA!

Last edited by MapleWelder; 04-25-2024 at 05:01 AM.