View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Annnnnnnd the solution is White Industries.

47.5 chainline for the hubs.
46.5 chainline for the 1x crankset.

Win.
That one's predictable. Just get away from funky non-standard designs. A lot of manufacturers have them and they're always a pain to work with. On track, fixed, or single speed, sticking to a standard usually works out better.

Are you getting their VBC ring configuration? If so, just note that I've had a couple problems with the inside ring not always fitting perfectly concentrically. You don't notice it on the road, but with a single-speed or fixed drivetrain, it becomes apparent with a looser or tighter chain at certain points in the crank rotation. The idea is simple but the precision and stiffness required to make it work properly are a challenge.

Note that you are getting equipment here that's designed around a road crank chainline. That's something that came about because hipster fixie riders always wanted to convert road cranks, so rear hubs that worked the 46.5 chainline became available. For SSCX it isn't a bad solution but it's also something that has limited compatibility outside of SSCX. Just by way of comparison, I've built up steel SSCX bikes where I respaced the rear to accommodate regular track hubs (or Phil Wood track hubs with ISO disc fittings on the left) and kept the 42.5 mm track standard. It works well, and especially if you're still using cantis or mini-V's, there's a huge aftermarket in used track hubs. And a huge aftermarket in used track cranks as well. You can get pairs of nice SSCX hubs for a hundred bucks a pair, or less, in superb condition -- mostly university students who wanted to be hip for about two weeks and then decided they preferred either a ten-speed or, more likely, a Vespa.