View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 AM

not saying nobody is using one, but the three clips of Wout (cyclocross dude with the Zipps and the WC stripes) aren't convincing to me. they've been debunked elsewhere but I'll share my thoughts...

for the ones where he's in mud and his wheel starts spinning really fast... you put down huge torque to get through mud, get buried a bit, slowly kinda getting stuck, keep putting down torque, then the mud gives way and wow, guess what happens...? the wheel spins real fast!

the one where he's running and it starts to spin (from the Italian world cup last winter), that's the worst quality video of it I've seen so you can't really tell what's going on. in better ones, you can see his pedal smacks a rock while he's running, sending the wheel going. he's also going downhill through slippery mud at the time... why the hell would he engage a motor then?

the other thing is that in all the clips of him where it claims to show a motor, he's in mud. sometimes in turns or off-camber mud. you wouldn't use a motor while in these situations, as it would really decrease your level of control; speed goes way up, traction goes way down, likelihood for crashing and getting caught goes way up. you'd use it on straightaways, specifically those that are either paved or where traction is at a premium.

speaking of which, the Koppenbergcross one where Van Den Driessche rides away easily... THAT's where you'd use a motor in cross. and indeed, that one is suspect. and she was caught with a motor right after it...

Last edited by chiasticon; 10-18-2017 at 08:17 AM.