View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice and suggestions so far! Please keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I'd say #1 is make sure you have a rental car. a day trip to the Big Island. If you're only there for a few days, forget it. But if you're there for 7-10, these whirlwind day trip tours are fun, and you can appreciate the difference among the islands. And the Big Island is amazing, lava flows and all!
Absolutely! We definitely plan to have a rental for the week. However, we're limiting the trip to Oahu this time. The Big Island sounds amazing. We'll save that for another trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
My wife and I had a heck of a good time on a glider plane ride on the north shore. The experience of being in a plane with no motor is pretty cool and flying over the north shore was something I won't forget.
That sounds like fun! Interestingly, I took 2 years of glider lessons in my early/mid teens before being distracted by cars and girls. I haven't been in a sailplane in over 20 years. I'd love to fly in one again and have the kids experience it. That has definitely been added to the list. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Trying to cram 10 pounds of vacation in a 5 pound bag can leave you tired and frustrated. I'm a big fan of slow down and discover. Unexpected pleasures are doubly sweet. Don't have a rigid schedule. Turn left because the road looks so inviting. Stop and smell the Plumeria.
I love it! Thanks Dave. Turning left because the road looks inviting is a regular habit of mine and somewhat frustrating to my wife at times. However, we've discovered some really cool places over the years that we wouldn't have otherwise. And yes, no rushing/cramming for us. One "major" activity (horses, gliders, kayaking, etc) each day. The rest of the time - chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I don't think it was specifically mentioned, but Pearl Harbor is a must-see. The Arizona memorial is incredibly poignant. My daughter was 10 when we took her there and even at that young age it made a big impression on her.

Greg
This is on the list for the first day when we land in Honolulu. Kind of a requisite stop.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions everyone!

Mike

Last edited by texbike; 07-20-2017 at 08:56 AM.