View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
The motorcycles on the weekends have taken out some cyclists this year, including some of my friends.

I'm wondering when the last time you rode this was Ken Robb? After you descend East Grade, it is a pretty decent climb back up to your car at the taco shop. South Grade has been paved in the last couple years and it's a long non-technical descent with spots that you have to pedal. East Grade is traditionally followed up with Cole Grade or Mesa Grande, which give you a chance to have Julian Pie in Santa Ysabel.

Either way, it's a long way from El Cajon. Laguna is much closer.
I wasn't thinking of going as far as the taco shop. It sounds to me like you are confusing the grades because South Grade has many 180 degree turns where entry speed can easily exceed 45mph and I consider that technical and requiring heavy braking. The East grade is more rolling and there are certainly places requiring pedaling. The only taco shop I remember is in Pauma Valley quite a bit farther west than the parking area at the base of South Grade Rd. I'm old so maybe I'm confused too.

The ride up Sunrise Highway is good too, Heck, I like it better because the climb isn't as steep. The OP asked for our most memorable and since Palomar seems to be the single most bragged-about course I could think of I tossed it out there. Wasn't it part of the Tour of California a few years ago?