Thread: Ot: Nyc '77
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I agree that there was always a mover 'n shaker class that worked and lived in NYC as well as a greater range of diversity across the city. And with New York revitalized into the great city it was meant to be, it is inevitable that some of that diverse socioeconomic vitality was crowded out and that is a shame. But whaddaya gonna do? Don't blame "rich people", blame the human nature the attracts people to want to live in great cities.

NYC authentic? As in Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" authentic? Yeah some of that is gone replaced by self-congratulatory hipster in some quarters. But I don't see or experience NYC as inauthentic probably because in living here I see it from inside the bubble and NYers, my neighbors, are some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. I think the inauthentic people you refer to are those that haven't figured out who and what they are and how they fit in - because this city allows anyone to take a shot at being anyone or anything before rendering judgement or discarding them as insignificant.

I am not the best world traveler but I don't think there is any city on earth that can rival New York City except possibly Tokyo or Paris.
Everyone is just waiting for me to give you a thump about this elitist bull**** but I will resist falling into the trap. "Great city it was meant to be?" Oyh!