View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM

I didn't find Jones' reaction at all condescending towards her fellow competitors or "hogging the spotlight". She trained for years, was the favorite, was running a brilliant race, and made a rare and fatal mistake at the worst possible time, which she admitted. NBC first showed a fair amount of footage of Dawn Harper celebrating, and then showed maybe 20 seconds of LoLo down on the track, after which she spoke very eloquently with Bob Neumeyer.

Yes, for 10-15 seconds she was down on the track, I think in real shock at what had just happened. She was initially just devastated, as Gail Devers was. I think I would have had the same reaction. I've seen many other athletes at these Games let their emotions out, and I think they have every right to do so: it's their entire life.

Frankly, I thought she was extremely gracious and well spoken after the race (some "losers" don't even grant interviews): she congratulated and hugged the winners, and she said,"It's the hurdles: if you don't clear them you don't deserve to be champion". What is crass about that?

Are people criticizing May/Walsh for their celebration? Or Michael Phelps chest-thumping on the deck? Or any of the other jumping, leaping, screaming, smiling, flag-waving winners?

As far as Rogge's comments re: Bolt, they are idiotic, imho. Rogge is out of touch with the "modern era" and needs to pull that stick out....

What Bolt did was absolutely amazing, and he had every right to celebrate, I think. It's well known that he is a ham; it's also true that many sprinters use every psychological tactic they can, and the relief they feel after a win like that must be incredible. He also congratulated his competitors, and I see nothing wrong with doing a bit of reggae jig after doing something unprecedented in history. He is funny, and I think he actually creates a good vibe with his competitors. I loved Maurice Greene for the same reasons: he ran his races well, and let his emotions show, and everyone respected him. I like "emotional" athletes, and I far prefer them to the pent-up, "correct", nervous nellies....

The four highlights of "crassness" I have seen during these Games are Bela Karolyi's jingoistic rants; Chris Collinsworth's ass-kissing and totally useless "commentaries"; and the 2 women pole-vaulters, Isinbayeva, who won, and then said she loved being a "diva", and did completely ignore the other women, and Stuczynski, who got silver and then acted as if the entire world had collapsed.

Lolo:
Video of the entire race (sorry, Swedish commentary) Is Dawn Harper consoling/acknowledging LoLo?
Photo/video of the race/LoLo's reaction Her real tears are under the stands, alone and in private.
Her post-race comments Where's the crassness? She congratulates her competitors, with real grace.
Gail Devers' comments Understanding.
Her work and community service She seems like an amazing person, and she comes from an extremely tough family/personal background.

Pure class; no crass....