View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered (ab)User

Not really a car guy, but this thread reminds me of something I experienced many many years ago, mid-1970s when I was probably 15 years old:

I'm locking my bike up at the mall, about to go shopping for...um...whatever it was that 15-year-old me used to shop for ...when I hear this deep throbbing hum, like a cross between the 32' pipe on a massive church organ, and the one-note booty-shaking trunk-rattling thrum of a poorly-tuned-but-massively-overdriven subwoofer in the trunk of a Mercedes with blacked-out windows (that wouldn't become a common cultural reference for at least another 20 years). And this deep throbbing hum gets louder and louder until it is almost deafening, and I feel like the aqueous humour in my eyeballs is starting to boil from being pressurized by this massive subsonic note, this unbelievably pure single tone residing way down in the netheroctaves. And I'm looking all around trying to figure out what's causing this sound, this Big Note, this subsonic chest-collapsing sonic boom of a buzz

...when a yellow DeThomaso Pantera drives by.

First one I'd ever seen. Or heard. I will never forget the sound of that car.