View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Last year, my now-wife and I spent 3 months touring the US and Canada in a fancy RoadTrek RV borrowed from our parents. It was an awesome experience, but required a lot of patience - and money. Moving around is expensive; perhaps if you've got it parked in a semi-permanent fashion, it's the cheapest way to live in a given spot.

The #vanlife thing is cool if you can swing it but I think in many cases you still need a home base or time off from the road. Many of the Insta van dweller stars say that you need a break now and then, or that climate patterns and practicality push you back into regular shelter at times. Minimal space and lack of capacity for anything beyond just sleeping and eating can be problematic for tinkering and other hobbies.

Boondocking and more rustic camping was great. We have tons of nice memories from Alberta, WA state, New Mexico, etc etc. Serviced campgrounds are necessary for the times you need to recharge the batteries/dump tanks/fill up on water but the KOA/RV park culture is pretty bleak.

The vehicle was based on a Chev Express van so lots of power and comfort. Decent on gas too, surprisingly. Some friends of ours have a Westy from the late 80s/early 90s and I think they have replaced every single part on that thing at least once. It is a true lemon, I'd NEVER want to own one.

KJ