Thread: Tubulars
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Formerly rchman

I find the Vittoria tires to be mediocre at best. I had two pairs of 27mm Paves that turned a bike to crap above 30mph since the handling became nervous. That was by far my best glue job too since I had to make it work with my C59 which had like a mm of clearance on one side.

The new Corsa G+ are okay. They cut easily IMO and they tend to have a hop at the valve unless you take a lot of precautions to prevent that.

Being in the middle of Los Angeles, and spending the last 40K miles on tubs, I ride a lot of crap roads. For the first few years I rode Conti sprinters solely. They're a pain to put on and near impossible to mount perfectly straight. They ride like butyl clinchers. Their only redeeming quality IMO is that they handle well in the wet, very well.

For me, Veloflex Roubaix is my go to tire on wide rims or Carbons on narrower rims. My flat rate is about the same as Conti sprinters (maybe once every 5K miles). Ride quality is just superb. I have some Vlaanderens I've been meaning to glue up but I really need a third wheelset for them.