View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 AM

As others have stated, it's a spectrum disorder, and maybe disorder isn't the right word. And it's not even something that gets officially labeled as such all the time, it seems to now just get rolled into autism, not a separate stand alone thing.

It's something with which I was diagnosed a few years ago, right around the time they stopped officially labeling it a stand alone thing. I'm in my mid twenties now.

I'm not sure that being labeled as such has made a difference, other than it gave me a few resources that were useful.

The book "The Complete Guide to Aspergers Syndrome" by Atwood and the book "Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind" by Simon Baron-Cohen were both useful reads. There's a forum called aspies central that's of use, too. You might check it out.

I think the books and some reading have made it so I'm better able to- perhaps compensate isn't the right word - compensate for my difficulties in interacting with others.

Without having read a few of those things I'd surely never be able to recognize a few of the things that I do, or understand the way that others act.

It isn't really something that is a big deal in my day to day life, I just often don't "get" tone or subtleties, and finer points of some things with new people. But I begin to pickup on patterns and eventually do "get" it with people with whom I interact regularly.

A bit tricky with customers at the shop occasionally, people seem to not like when I ask if they tried pumping up their tires when the roll in with a flat....if you've never worked in a shop, you might be surprised how many people haven't tried pumping them up.

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 03-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.