View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Rotor 3dF is not a top offering from the Rotor brand

I'm not comparing on price, I'm comparing on the brand hierarchy.

Chorus is an expensive crank too, but if they only reviewed Chorus (which is also missing) people would say: where is super record?

My point is, the top offering crank of each brand should be a given in any comparison of top end cranks. 3dF was below the 3D and the 3D+.
I get that, but just because it isn't the top offering, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be compared. I agree that the 3d+ should have been in the mix.

What I disagree with, is that the 3df is comparable to rival just because there are several levels above it. The 3df is right with the Ultegra and force crankset in weight and deflection at a much higher price. Just because it is at the bottom of the rotor hierarchy, it doesn't become a competitor to the bottom of the groupsets. Hierarchy in ones own brand is meaningless. That's like comparing a Lincoln mks and bmw 7 series just because they are the positioned at the top of each brand.both optioned out, the bmw is twice as much.

What would really be interesting is to see how 3df, 3d, and 3d+ compare and how chorus and record compare. In the Campagnolo example, both cranksets use very similar designs, the record is just hollow where chorus is solid. I wouldn't be surprised if deflection across both brands was similar.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-27-2014 at 08:40 AM.