View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Find the car you want and then deal with the internet sales manager on the phone. Do t go into the dealership until the deal is done and it’s time to pick up the car.
I did this on two brand new cars (for mother and mother-in-law), at different dealerships, in different states, and had the same outcome...

The deal was done. We went to pick up the car and pay in cash (i.e. bank check) but when we arrived at the stealership we were told the internet manager "was not available" and the delivery person "is backed up for a few hours". A salesperson tried to upsell us and when we kept saying no he complained that he was not making any money on the deal so I basically told him to piss off since I had never spoken to him before that day. Then the Finance Manager gave it a go with the same BS of trying to upsell us on crap we did not need or want and he was also complaining that he was not making any money on the car. After 20 minutes of this crap, I told them they had 10 minutes to get the car out front, get the paperwork ready to be signed, and stop wasting our time or we were walking out the door and going somewhere else. Interestingly, one dealership got it done in 15 minutes and for the other one we walked out at the 15 minute mark and called another dealer.

I was shocked that again we had a deal done for the second car at the third dealership but on pickup day they tried the same BS. I gave them 5 minutes to get everything ready or we were leaving. It took them about 15 minutes but we got the car at the agreed upon price.

Lesson leaned: when you show up at the dealer, show them the bank check and give them 15 minutes to get everything ready before they try any BS.

Moral of the story: I am glad I was with my mother and mother-in-law on delivery day for each of their vehicles because I do no think they would have been able to fend off all the high pressure sales tactics (and why they both asked me to get involved with their car purchases).

Last edited by NYCfixie; 02-01-2024 at 11:56 AM.