View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.steelman View Post
I know the new prices seem high. After my brain crashed and burned, and the decision was made to start over, some serious reevaluation was necessary to avoid a repeat. I have been doing this for almost 30 years and have sold a lot of bikes. Outside the satisfaction derived from seeing happy customers, the ratio of reward to hard work is out of balance. If you want to call me I will tell you the average bottom line on the schedule c for those years of work. It is embarrassing. Is it an evil thing if I want my wife and I to live on 60K instead of 21k? Most people in America make much more than a good frame builder and they don't work nearly as hard. If I don't sell bikes at the new prices, which are based on real costs and a decent wage, then it shows the market is unwilling to reward the skills needed to produce a top level product. I am not embarrassed by the prices because they are actually a fair value. You get a great bike and maybe I can buy some health insurance and start a small retirement account.
Good for you! You need to do what you think is best for you and your family because if you don't, no one else will. As was stated before, most here do not have a skin in this game, don't know all the particulars, yet freely offer opinions and suggestions (both + and -) as that is the nature of forums.
Your frames are a thing of beauty and you are a true artist/craftsman. You are in business to make money, so pricing is your call - charge whatever you want - As you said, let the market decide if your price is fair. I hope that maybe those who were in line can somehow get back in cue (if they so desire), as opposed to starting their wait all over.
I do not know you, but best of luck. It sounds like you have had quite an ordeal and I wish you well.