View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:21 PM

I think the bike mechanic at the shop just diagnosed it correctly when I went in to pick up the remains of the wheel - he said it looked like my chain overshifted in the big cog in my cassette, jammed in the wheel and sheared off six of the leading spokes in a three-cross spoke pattern. That seems consistent with what happened as the chain was on the biggest cog when I pulled over - and everything was sort of frozen up.

I've attached a couple pics, but I doubt they will be very informative as all but one spoke with a loose socket attached were cut out - when he first told me the wheel was trashed he said he would cut the spokes out to make it easier for me to deal with so I said fine. He recommended against trying to rebuild it both because of the missing spoke sockets which are rattling around in the wheel and he thought the indentation by the weld didn't look good - I'm not sure if this is typical or not. Any of you guys know?

So I think I'll probably chalk this up as a learning experience and don't know if I'll build up another rear wheel or not - I may just turn the bike into a single speed with an existing wheel or get a different wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (55.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (98.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (126.1 KB, 25 views)