View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77
Framebuilders take note: a simple 1-2 page contract that spells out each parties' rights & responsibilities would address sooooooo much of the bad issues that surface during this type of conversation. Whoever does it, or announces that they already do, I think would really gain a lot of respect and biz for it.
And when the contract is broken (by either party), bring in the lawyers? A contract is only as good as either party's willingness to enforce it.

99.99999% of the time, when the framebuilder can't deliver and returns the deposit, the customer is cool with this.

99.99999% of the time, when a deposit it paid, and the customer walks from it, the framebuilder takes it no further.

When seeking a framebuilder, I'll always choose the ethical guy first. If a builder wants to enter into contract negotiations, even a simple one, about a bike frame, then that's a dang good sign that I'm talking to the wrong guy.

A few years ago, I put a deposit on a frame, then lost my job after it was built, but before it was delivered. I decided it was an excess I could do without. The builder found another buyer who was happy to take my place. With a contract, I suppose he could've sued me? As with Steelman, the situation wasn't ideal, but everyone walked away just fine, with no lawyers involved. And when the time comes, I'll be back.

Last edited by mistermo; 03-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.