View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Another vote for KMC (although I haven't personally tried Wippermans..). I have one on my cross bike so it sees abuse quite often. No surface rust (which can be easily cleaned off anyways), never snapped, shifts well, quite, and I take the link off rather often to do a deep clean of the chain and have zero issues in the past 4/5 years I've doing this.
I too recommend KMC. In our house, we have 15 bikes between 2 adults and 2 kids both mtb and road/cross drivetrains. I run KMC 11sl on all the bikes from 8, 9, 10, 11sp, Campy, Shimano, and Sram drivetrains without issues. I run the same 11SL chains across the board solely because the missing link and I only have to stock 1 chain part in my parts bin-It makes maintenance easier. Sram went to a non-reusable link as did Shimano with the pin a few years ago. I stopped running Shimano chains several years ago as I was breaking them (suspension design-mtb). Campy required one to buy a $100+ chain tool which deterred me and believe me I love tools but only 1 Campy drivetrain. I usually buy a bundle of chains from KMC at SeaOtter for a really good deal.

Only difference between 8/9/10/11sp is the width of the links (not the length)