View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
(...)
I don't need the latest driver assist do-dads though.
(...)
Oh, I thought so too. Don't knock them until you've tried them.

You *haven't lived* until you've experienced Autonomous Cruise Control. Over Memorial Day weekend we drove up highway 101 through Santa Barbara, where holiday traffic combined with construction caused highway speeds to drop to a stop-and-go walking pace. The car *drove itself* through miles of traffic hell, while I just steered. Not having to accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake reduced my fatigue.

Blind Spot Monitor helps me keep my eyes on the road. I still do a shoulder check before doing a lane change, but if the Blind Spot Monitor shows a car nearby I don't even need to turn my head. This keeps me from taking my eyes off the road to do a shoulder check only to see I can't execute a lane change yet.

I still look for and see cross traffic when backing out of a parking space, but the Cross Traffic Alert invariably beeps *before* I see it, so I keep my foot on the brake. How is this bad?

*If you maintain a proactive role as a driver*, driver assist technology provides a net increase in safety. Saying you don't want it is like saying you don't want traction control or anti-lock brakes.

The only really desirable car on your list is the Highlander, which has these features in recent models.

Last edited by dgauthier; 06-01-2017 at 05:45 AM.