View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.steelman View Post
I know the new prices seem high. After my brain crashed and burned, and the decision was made to start over, some serious reevaluation was necessary to avoid a repeat. I have been doing this for almost 30 years and have sold a lot of bikes. Outside the satisfaction derived from seeing happy customers, the ratio of reward to hard work is out of balance. If you want to call me I will tell you the average bottom line on the schedule c for those years of work. It is embarrassing. Is it an evil thing if I want my wife and I to live on 60K instead of 21k? Most people in America make much more than a good frame builder and they don't work nearly as hard. If I don't sell bikes at the new prices, which are based on real costs and a decent wage, then it shows the market is unwilling to reward the skills needed to produce a top level product. I am not embarrassed by the prices because they are actually a fair value. You get a great bike and maybe I can buy some health insurance and start a small retirement account.

Cool to see you here! You might not remember me but I visited your shop three or four years back and your wife gave my friend and me a tour of your place. I was gathering information on frame building to make my own bike which I did! So thanks and thanks? for the calendar of all the naked northern cal. builders haha

I can't believe I never saw this thread before. I would hate to see one less bay area builder.