View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 01:32 PM

Doug, I am repeating myself but there is one thing I think you should try that will not hurt your frame and may solve the problem and that is to lengthen the slot on the back of the seat lug. It looks like they used a Henry James investment cast seat lug. They are cast with a built in slot. I just measured the slot length on a HJ lug in my inventory and it is just a bit short of 1". The slot length should be extended with a round file until it is at least 1 1/8" or more long. This is measured from the top of the lug to the bottom of the slot. My guess is that after the frame was brazed (so the seat tube now has to be slit to match the slot in the lug) the worker did not extend the slot any lower than the slot already in the lug.

Extending the slot will not hurt your frame in any way and is a lot more logical and easy to do than about any other more extreme remedy being suggested. I'll remind you again that I've found too short of a seat lug slot to be the source of seatpost slipping problems including the case on my personal frame that I mentioned before.