View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 AM

A few things to note, the star-shaped crack means that there was a localized impact that was caused by something other than riding: a sudden impact, possibly internal but more likely external.

Secondly, you say that the frame has been repainted. How was the old paint removed and what type of paint was used. When was the repaint done? This can be important, as paint when first applied, and not stressed, can hide preexisting damage like what you now see. The damage can rightly only appear after the frame is stressed. It does not occur frequently, so while it is likely that the shop caused the damage, I would still not feel comfortable to squarely place blame on the shop as there is a limited chance that it could have already been built in, especially if you removed some of the resin together with the old paint (a virtual certainty). I know that Colnago is one manufacturer who voids all warranties on carbon frames when you repaint the frame and I also know of a few others who likewise do the same.