View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 10:45 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I used to live where there were a lot of oil and gas wells, which means lots of companies to service those wells. I would guess that somewhere around 85% of those service trucks were F250/F350 with the rest mostly Dodge and all of them were diesel. I can only recall seeing a few Chevy trucks doing that work. My neighbor worked at that job and he said that he typically would put 80-100,000 miles on his truck a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I avoid certain routes because of steep descents. I won't pull a trailer up and over Highway 14 between Shell and Sheridan, Wyoming, and definitely not on 14A between Burgess Junction and Lovell. Highway 16 between Ten Sleep and Buffalo can be sketchy, but I've driven it enough to know where I need extra caution. Pulling a heavy trailer means always playing the "what if" game.
For several years, I would ride my motorcycle in the Bighorns almost every weekend between April and October. The smell of hot brake pads was constant and a ride without them was rare. I think that they mostly came from motorhomes and trucks pulling travel trailers, though semis were often the culprit as well.

I mostly rode 16 with Buffalo as my turn around point, though occasionally I would ride 14 or 14A. I agree with you that I wouldn't want to pull a trailer down Shell Canyon or down the drop in to Lovell.