View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhea View Post
Geoff, I don't think I can "inspire" you buddy but I have started a gravel grinder build of my own. I'd been riding my cross bike on gravel adventures the past 2 or 3 years and then I got hit with a bad case of "bikeitis". You know the illness, suddenly you realize you haven't added a new bike to the stable for a few months, your mouth gets dry, you begin to twitch, palms get sweaty and you get that feeling deep inside that you need a new bike. You try your hardest to combat the symptoms but your resistance is low and your need is great so ya just roll over and give in! That's what I did. It's build a gravel grinder time at in KRhea's shop!

This is a budget gravel build where I allowed myself up to $300 for a frame or frame/fork. My frame want list: aluminum w/some tube shaping, disc ready, braze-ons for fenders and or racks, more road geometry then crossish and room for some meaty rubber. The remainder of the parts I'm hoping come from the various boxes, drawers and hidden places within the shop.

I began my frame search using CL, local and online forums including Paceline as well as Ebay. Shockingly I scored, what for my use, is the perfect foundation for the build:

This frame was brand new, cost $50 plus $25 shipping!!!!! Nothing like a bit of patience combined with closeout sales to get whatcha need without breaking the bank! It's aluminum, disc ready, fork was included(non-disc), has plenty of braze-ons for fenders, racks and the geometry I was looking for. Had it put on a frame table and it's straight and ready to be built and ridden. No, it's not a multi $1000 Gazuletti aluminum race monster but the build quality is really good, it's straight and it'll serve my purpose perfectly, plus, it's really cool looking with it's buffed ano look. And, I saved $225 of my frame budget which now allows me to build a nice rear disc wheel!

Here are more pics of the frame and I'll update the project as I decide on the parts spec. I already have a 9speed XTR rear derailleur I'll couple with Campy 10speed Ergos, a Centaur compact crank, Crank Bro pedals and a Tektro 926AL linear pull front brake. The rear brake will be a road BB7 of course. No idea of bar/stem, wheels etc. KRhea

Kevin...Not sure how I missed your post...I dig it...My gravelbike will definitely be on a budget...Keep us aprised of the build

Last edited by firerescuefin; 03-31-2013 at 05:07 PM.