View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 05:49 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote. See below for why.

Yes, and why is that?

It is certainly NOT because JB is an "artist", or is extremely talented, or is beholden to some kind of magic dust in his workshop, which may or may not appear on any given day/week/month....

It ironic, actually, because while most of these people are not JB, nor have his talent, what they truly lack is the simplest thing to learn and exercise, which is professional conduct, sole proprietor or not.

The desire/ability to correctly estimate the cost and duration of a project; the desire/ability to communicate promptly and clearly with a client; the desire/ability to deliver on said promises 9 times out of 10, because of professional pride and solid ethics if nothing else; the desire/ability to not be rude, to be honest, and to do one's absolute best as often as possible; etc.

All this other crap, non-communication, endless excuses, etc. is shameful, immature, "the dog ate my homework" complete bs 9 times out of 10.

There is no "magic" in proper conduct; it is simply part and parcel of being a professional. Non-pros (whether they purportedly paint bicycles, maintain yards, build buildings, sell via drones, or surgically repair hearts) can find something else to do, and stop wasting our time and our money, if they are unwilling to engage in the most basic professional behavior.
I am certainly not an apologist for any proprietor in the custom bike sub-industry.

You or I were not privvy to the OP's conversations with the un-named painter under scrutiny. Neither of us know what was discussed, understood, agreed upon or promised between the two parties.

I am fine with your disagreement as you are responding to your own set of issues that you are holding against un-named painter: That his conduct and professionalism does not meet the standards you demand. And furthermore that this type of attitude and behaviour causes a bad customer experience.

My post makes no judgement on the un-named painter in either his/her performance as a painter or the manner in which clients are dealt with. What I did post concerned my recommended approach on how to deal with proprietors in the small custom bike sub-industry. It is not my concern to review & critique how un-named painter runs his business or communicates with clients - I would only be able to judge that through direct interaction which neither of us have had.

However, I can make professional judgements based how any proprietor has performed in what I have commissioned them to do. Does a painter, or any service, deliver to the quality, time frame and price understood and agreed upon. That's all I need concern myself with. What anyone else might want in addition is up to them.

I have only used two bike painters in my lifetime: Peter Weigle and Jeff D. through the wonderful operation run by he and Tom K. at The Barn. I told them what I wanted, got a price and them I left them alone to do their job so that whenever they were done, they contacted me.

I am fully aware that not everyone performs to the standard of the gentlemen named here. I can only say the leeway given such men may not be deserved or earned by others who claim to offer the same kind of services.

Funny story: Peter is such a perfectionist! He called me over a span of days in debating what shade of Bianchi Celeste to go for - he was more fussy than I was. I told him I liked anything celeste and to do what he liked best and in hanging up the phone I thought - that was that. He called me back anyway in a few days to discuss the dozen shaded paint swatches he dabbed on the inside of the Bianchi catalog I sent him. Peter settled on a beautiful pearlescent celeste. The guy was driven and unstoppable. Guys like Peter you just gotta let them do it their way, it will always turn out great.