View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
I’ve been skiing in Utah for years with pals – typically short trips where we stay in SLC and drive up to Alta, Solitude or wherever for the day. This year, I’m thinking of taking the whole family for spring skiing during the kids’ spring break, at the beginning of April. The two youngest (6, going on 7) have not been on skis before. We’re thinking of making this a sort of combo trip – ski a few days and then head south to show the family the National Parks (Bryce and Zion) for a few days before heading back. So here’s the thing: it seems like a much shorter drive from Vegas to Zion than from SLC, which raises the question whether the skiing at Brian Head is any good. Yes? No? Meh? Will it be any good that late in the season? The kids will take lessons and maybe ski with me on baby trails in the afternoon, so they ought to be ok as long as there is a decent ski school. If the skiing is pretty darn good, I can be happy even if it’s not quite what I’d find up by SLC on my own. OTOH, if it’s likely to be slush, or there just aren’t some good runs/terrain with good pitch down there, then I don’t really want to drag everybody there (maybe myself especially) for that. We can always fly in and out of SLC, ski up near there, and drive south for the parks and then back to SLC, but it looks like a trek.

Any guidance?
Go to Aspen/Snowmass. Snowmass is awesome for families, they have 5 resorts all within 30 min drive (Ajax, Aspen highlands, Buttermilk, Snowmass, and for the xc types, Ashcroft.

SHORT to non existent lift lines, terrain for anyone, plenty to do. You can fly right into Aspen, or go to Eagle (larger airport) and take a shuttle, or go to Denver and take the shuttle to Aspen. You can also rent and drive... it is only 4 hours or so with good weather and the drive is BEAUTIFUL.