View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 08:41 PM

Thanks this is super helpful. I wasn't sure if they looked at the whole deal rather than parts. For instance, they lower the selling price to make you feel good but lower trade in value so it's the same in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Depends on the dealer. If you say you are paying cash then the dealership won't get any financing reserves. Those dealers won't play ball and in turn not give you a good deal. If you run into that move on and don't do business there.

Negotiate the cost of the car first, no other factors. Don't tell them you are paying cash or that you have a trade. The car purchase is transaction #1, the trade is transaction #2, the trade is an entirely separate transaction! Go get an in-person carmax offer (not online), most dealers will beat a carmax in-person offer printout by $X. I used Carvana personally, and neither the dealer nor Carmax could even come close.

If the car has been sitting on the lot for 30+ days, they will be motivated to move the unit. I like Caredge.com , pay for one month for a few bucks. It gives you good insight on how many days a car has been sitting on a dealer's lot. The longer it sits the better, they don't want to keep paying floorplan cost on that car.