View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The money in charging stations seems like it’s in what hasn’t been tried yet. Namely put them at places more like gas stations with convenience stores. I’m always reading a good gas station makes its profits when people come in and buy coffee, soda, snacks, alcohol, lottery tickets, etc..

EV drivers have to wait around longer, give them something to spend money on.

I know this is coming and there’s a little of it already but so many chargers are not placed to take advantage of this and/or let another business get those auxiliary sales.
I think consumer behavior is very different. If you drive ICE, everytime you need to fill up, you have to stop at the gas station. Everyday, 40mm americans stop to put fuel in the tank giving the store an opportunity.

For EV, most should top-up every night at home. Saab, how often do you have to stop to top-up the EV? Only on road trips? And most days, you are charged at home? You lose the 5 weekdays when drivers are going to and from work. No stops necessary unless you need to pee.

Moreover, the length of time being longer, means fewer people can charge at peak times. Morning and evening rush is like 60% of the stops for fuel.

The chainstores have models for queuing behavior, and models for age brackets at what hours of the day and what product should be nudged. If you are a chain now, your decision is to swap out gas pump space for EV space, which is a lower traffic product. It's a numbers game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
34% of Americans rent. How about apartment buildings? You know, with parking lots? Who's going to pay for that? Or the condo complex I'm moving out of. Every unit will need a charger. How much will that cost to install, and does everyone expect the condo owners to just come up with the significant sum for the special assessment to pay for that, and it's constant maintenance?
Depending on the building, it is already happening. My last building in the US installed chargers and that was over 5 years ago. My building in London, also has chargers installed. It will be a new amenity for the luxury buildings. Same with hotels. So as noted above, again you charge overnight and no need to top up during the day.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-04-2024 at 12:47 PM.