View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 09:47 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
"Just keep a hand on the wheel and it does the rest."

That's the part I don't get. Staying tense and in a driving position is not self driving, right? I've never experienced it, but, from the sound of it, I'd rather be controlling things, not waiting for what could be disaster every second.

"Erratic human behavior"

Yeah, those pesky humans. What are you going to do with them?
Here's a 4 minute explanation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JydmgHrvA5c

Tense? One hand somewhere on the wheel, anywhere, any hand to verify that a human is sitting behind the wheel somewhat aware of the surroundings in case some other irresponsible human does something stupid is the bare minimum requirement.

I'd rather not be manually controlling things like speed with relation to speed limit, lane position, or distance from other vehicles on a long road trip if I don't have to. The car does it all perfectly, every time. It see's the lane, it knows the speed limit (it sees the speed limit signs and has data from the roads), it has 10 cameras and see's all angles at all times significantly better than someone sitting in the drivers seat.

Yes - erratic human behavior is the problem. Computers follow the rules they are given much, much, much more than humans who make their own decisions about when to cross the road, where they cross the road, what speed to drive, etc.

Anyway, TGIF, don't knock it til you've tried it internet folks.