View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
Okay, I wax amateur style and found that it has been really great. Wax-based lube in between immersions.

I have had this question, but never a good place to ask. I'll ask here:
Everyone talks about having to clean the chain very, very well with usually harsh chemicals. What happens if you don't do this? What happens if you clean it, but maybe to 95% of clean, but not 100% of clean?

My hypothesis is that the remaining factory grease will either impede wax from getting in, or break down the wax more quickly. Of course, I've never tested this.

I ask because I degreased and cleaned my chain quite well, but not to the "acetone bath" level. The waxing seems to work great. I presume it would just be better if I did a better cleaning.

Cheers!
This is a good question. It's better to clean the chain more thoroughly. That said, my first wax chain when I used the drip lube, in retrospect I only got it to maybe 95-98% clean. There may have been a slight residue when I wiped it. It did hold the wax fine, it lasted quite a long time. I forget, but should have been well over 5k miles. That was a used chain, run with wet lube for some time (1-2k miles?)

Someone on a Discord server I'm on swears that they just put their chains, factory grease and all, in plain high-grade paraffin and it works just fine.

Anyway, now that you have waxed the chain, I would treat the matter as settled.