View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 11:00 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
you certainly have to be used to/willing to riding near traffic for sure I'd say.. (not saying you aren't) there are usually good bike lanes, but it's just a painted line and drivers are gonna be drivers.. for that issue, it was bit better out toward Ramona, but you kind of gotta know where you want to go and it will be hotter.. as an alternative, there are a few good off-pavement areas like Sycamore Canyon, Blue Sky Ranch, Lake Hodges, and Mission Trails among others I'm certain.. I rode these on both MTBs and cross bikes (back when..).

*my info is from my time there 2006-2012, so take that FWIW..
I left in 04, so right before you got there... Rose Cyn, Pensaquitos Cyn, and Mission Trails were where I mostly went off-roading. Most of that is doable on a CX bike.

The SDBC Saturday loop thru Rancho Santa Fe is a good time. Golden Triangle off thru Rancho Santa Fe, down to the coast and back up to the Golden Triangle. IDK what they're doing now, but the beginning of that loop looked mostly familiar when I saw a video a few weeks back. Looks like the build a bike path along the 5 rather than have cyclists ride down the shoulder like they used to.

M