View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I agree with fa63 and Flinch, changing either the cassette from 32 to 34 or the crankset from 34 to 32 will result in only a minor difference (about 6%). With the new gearing, going up a 10.6% grade would feel like going up a 10.0% grade with the old gearing - this is only a small difference. Instead, you might want to consider going with a bigger change in gearing.

One option would using a Shimano 11-36 cassette. This would result in a 12.5% reduction in gearing, which would be far more noticeable. But depending on your current derailleur and frame (hanger length) you may have trouble shifting in the larger sprocket, and also the derailleur might not have the capacity for the larger cassette differential so the chain might be hanging loose in the small-small combination.

Instead, you might want to consider smaller chainrings, such as the 46-30 combination fa63 recommended. This would still give a reasonably tall high gear (110 in.), and a slightly lower gear than the 34/36 combination. The caveat here is that the only Campagnolo crankset that supports chainrings close to these sizes is the new Super Record WRL crankset with its 45-29 option, but this is quite expensive and would also require new bottom bracket cups. However, there are variety of other brand cranksets that support 46-30 chainrings that would work just fine with a Campagnolo 11spd drivetrain.
I have to agree that a crank with small chainrings is the most logical way to go as you can get an inner chainring as small as 24t. Thus, most cranksets that run 46/30 rings will also allow you go get even smaller rings, if you want. So a 46/30 may be good now, but a few years from now, a 44/28 or 44/26 or even 42/24 may be better.

The crankset I like is White Industries VBC crankset. Yes, it uses a square taper bb, but there are numerous ring options from 52/36 all the way down to 38/24...Good Luck!